What is the Trinity CertTESOL?
The CertTESOL is an entrance level qualification to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL).
We now have two Study Options: an Intensive 4 week course and a Part-time 15 week course:
- The Intensive 4-week course of 40 hours a week will prepare you to start a career as a TEFL teacher. You will be in the school from 9:00-18:00, Monday to Friday and have assignments to complete in the evenings and at weekends.
- The Part-time course of 6-12 hours a week which runs for 14-15 weeks (depending on timetable and time of year). This mode is suitable for people in full-time education or employment who live locally. It includes intensive weekend sessions and two evenings per week.
Why is it a useful qualification?
The CertTESOL is accredited by Ofqual and respected around the world. It is a Level 5 Ofqual qualification, the equivalent of second year on an undergraduate degree. Having the qualification will help you to get a job with a good school in the destination of your choice.
How do I qualify for the course?
All applicants must possess the entrance qualifications for university in their country and complete an application form and interview process. Additionally, non-native speakers must have a C1 qualification that was achieved within the last two years.
How do I prepare for the course?
If you are accepted onto the course you will be sent the pre-course task (PCT) which you should complete at least a week before the course starts. The PCT is designed to familiarise candidates with the grammar, phonology and methodology that they will meet on the course.
What is the course composed of?
- 6 hours of observed teaching practice – with two levels of students, including evaluation and feedback with a qualified trainer
- 4 hours of observation of experienced teachers
- Preparation of a profile of an individual learner, including planning and delivering a 1-1 lesson
- 4 lessons of an unknown language which help you reflect on the learner’s experience and raise awareness of teaching tactics
- Practice writing lesson plans with tutor support and feedback
- Input sessions on grammar, phonology, methodology and how to build them into your teaching
- Specialist sessions on teaching young learners, teaching 1-1 plus teaching Business English
How easy is it to find a job when the course ends?
TEFL is a huge industry and there is always a variety of opportunities for qualified teachers.
ELA-Edinburgh has partnerships with English First and MyES, a school with branches throughout Italy. Your tutors will give you advice on jobs and career in a session towards the end of the course.
Your Trinity CertTESOL qualification will be respected worldwide. In busy markets like China, Vietnam, Italy, Spain and Eastern Europe it will help you to find the best employer.
Why chose ELA-Edinburgh?
ELA-Edinburgh boasts a course director with more than 20 years’ experience in teacher-training and fully qualified tutors.
Our modern facilities give you Wi-Fi access throughout the building, access to our computers and printers as well as use of our interactive smartboard.
Above all though, you will benefit from the attention and support that our tutors provide. This extra care helps to explain our 100% pass rate. After the course ends, you will have the opportunity to continue to develop your teaching skills with us and carry on teaching your students from the course.
Our TRINITY CertTESOL and In service Training and Development programmes for EFL teachers, as well as courses for CLIL teachers wanting to develop English language skills may be eligible for Erasmus+ funding. Please check with your National Agency. Erasmus + Lifelong Learning grants are obtained through the organization you are currently working with (school, university, training institute, etc.). The Erasmus+ Programme Guide lists very clear criteria you need to meet in order to be granted funding.
Training and Administrative Staff at the Centre
|Course Director:||Sandra Piai|
|Course Tutor:||Neil McDonagh|
|Course Tutor:||Lucy Wilson|
|Supervised Tutor:||Douglas Matheson|
|Unknown Language (Russian) Teacher:||Olga Johnson|
|Course Administrator:||Neil McDonagh|