When you arrive at ELA
On your first day please arrive at 8.45 am. You will receive a warm welcome and full induction from our student services team!
Here you will be allocated to your class teacher, given your course book with accompanying ILP (record of learning & tutorials booklet) and you can also sign up for the social programme activities happening in your first week.
Helpful Things you need to know:
- You can expect to pay £1.50 for a single bus journey around Edinburgh
- A daily bus pass (unlimited journeys) is £4
- A loaf of bread will cost £0.89
- A sandwich & a packet of crisps & a drink costs £3 from a supermarket
- A sandwich & a coffee costs £4 from a deli-cafe
- A fish & chip supper from a traditional fish & chip shop costs around £7
- A meal in a nice restaurant can cost about £15 per head upwards for a set menu with wine
- A single malt whisky will cost around £4 (and you have a choice of hundreds)
- A ticket for a theatre show starts at around £20
- You can see a good comedy show for £5 (free in August)
- A weekend in the highlands is about £150 with travel & accommodation thrown in
Bring with you on the first day:
- Your passport.
- Any medical documents relating to any existing special conditions.
- Any previous IELTS/UCLES/TOEIC/TOEFL/TRINITY proof of English level certificates.
- A notebook.
- A student dictionary (optional but recomended by our DOS)*
- A level based Grammar support book (optional but recommended by our academic team)*
- A pen
- A pencil
Always bring to school:
- Your Individual learning plan
- Your course books
- Your notebook
- A pen and pencil
- Your ELA ID CARD
Check the noticeboard regularly for:
- Class timetables
- Notices from your teacher
- The Social activities schedule.
- Weekend excursions special offers to ELA students.
Registering with the local police station:
If you arrive to the UK from one of the following countries, you need to register with the police as soon as possible: Afganistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia…
- If you need to register, this requirement will be written in your passport.
- You normally need to register within seven days of your arrival in the United Kingdom.
You will need to register at the following address:
Nationality Department, Police Headquarters, Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh, EH4 1RB – Click Here for a map.
Opening times are Monday-Friday 9am-12.30pm.
To register, you will need:
- your passport.
- the registration fee – £34 (cash only).
- two passport-size photographs of yourself.
- your offer letter or a letter from your ELA confirming which course you are studying and the duration of your course.
- The Police may keep your passport for a few weeks so make sure that you don’t need your passport during this time (for opening a bank account or signing a contract for a flat).
You must report any of the following changes to the department above within seven working days or you risk a fine of up to £5000 and/or face 6 months in prison:
- If you change your address.
- If you change college, school or occupation.
- If your marital status changes.
- If your landing conditions change.
- If you are granted a new extension of stay by the Home Office.
- If you are issued with a new passport.
- If there is the birth of a child.